(1) Except as this code provides to the contrary, the city manager shall determine and set all fees imposed by the city for services, goods, use of municipal property, licenses and permits. As used herein, “city manager” means the city manager or the manager’s designee.
(2) Unless the city manager determines in writing that consideration of one or more of the following factors is irrelevant or inapplicable, in determining the amount of any such fee the city manager shall consider:
(a) Applicable policies, enactments and directives of the council;
(b) The amount charged by the city in the past;
(c) The full costs of providing the service supported by the fee;
(d) The amounts charged by other comparable providers; and,
(e) The revenue needs of the city as determined by the adopted city budget.
(3) At least 15 days prior to the initiation of a new fee or change in the amount of such a fee, the city manager shall give notice of the proposed fee by:
(a) Making copies of a notice of intended charges available to the mayor and city council, including the city manager’s written determination, if any, that one or more of the factors listed in subsection (2) of this section is irrelevant or inapplicable;
(b) Making copies of a notice of intended charges available to any persons who have requested such notice;
(c) Publishing a notice of intended charges in a newspaper of general circulation within the city if the fee or charge is or is likely to be $250.00 or greater; and,
(d) Posting such notice at two locations at city hall.
(4) The notice shall state the current and proposed fee, and the time, place and manner in which interested persons may present written comments on the proposed fee. Defective notice shall not be grounds for invalidating any fee or charge.
(5) After considering any written comments, the city manager shall set the fee by administrative order. All such administrative orders shall be compiled and retained at the city recorder’s office. Copies of any administrative order setting or changing a general fee which is or is likely to be $250.00 or greater shall be provided to the mayor and city council.