(1) A person shall apply to the city manager or designee for a tree felling permit, on an application form developed by the city manager or designee.
(2) The application shall be accompanied by an application fee in an amount established by the city manager pursuant to section 2.020 of this code.
(3) The application also shall be accompanied by a logging plan if the applicant proposes to fell more than ten trees.
(4) If the applicant proposes to fell ten or less trees, then the city manager or designee shall act on the permit within ten business days of receiving a completed application. The city manager or designee may extend the response time to up to 30 days if he/she determines that public notice of the application should be given and public comment taken pursuant to subsection (6) of this section, because substantial impacts on neighboring properties or on other natural values are anticipated.
(5) If the applicant proposes to fell more than ten trees, then the city manager or designee shall act on the permit within 30 days of receiving a completed application, but only after giving public notice of the application and an opportunity to provide comments as provided in subsection (6) of this section.
(6) Where public notice and a comment period is required before acting on an application, the city manager or designee shall identify abutting properties and others which are partly or wholly within 200 feet of the site on which the trees are to be felled. Written notice of the application shall be mailed by the city manager or designee to the owners and occupants of the identified properties, as well as to persons who have requested such notice. The notice shall provide that persons may submit written comments on the application as directed in the notice, for a period of 15 days from the date of the notice.