(1) Except as provided in subsections 6.471(3) and 6.471(4), within the city or within a local improvement district for wastewater sewers created by the council, all structures in which plumbing fixtures are installed or which discharge wastewater and are located within 160 feet of the city wastewater system or of a public right-of-way containing the city wastewater system shall be connected to the city wastewater system in a manner prescribed by this code and shall discharge all wastewater into such system.
(2) No private sewage disposal system shall be allowed within the city unless the requirement in subsection (1) above cannot be met and approval and a permit is obtained from the Lane County Health Department.
(3) When a structure has been serviced by an approved private sewage disposal system and the city wastewater system becomes available as described in subsection 6.471(1), the city may allow an 18 month grace period from the date the property owner or person in charge of property receives actual notice of the city’s wastewater system’s availability within which to connect the structure to the city wastewater system. If allowed, the 18 month grace period terminates when work is done on the affected property that requires a plumbing permit or when conditions exist on the affected property which are described in subpart 6.010(g) or section 6.446.
(4) Except for actions enforcing subpart 6.010(g) or section 6.446, at least 90 days before initiating legal action alleging a violation of section 6.471(1) the property owner or person in charge of property shall be sent written notice advising that legal proceedings will be filed against them for violation of section 6.471 if they have not completed the required sewer connection within 90 days.
(5) The notice required by subsection 6.471(4) shall be delivered by personal service or sent by certified mail to the property owner or person in charge of property and shall describe the premises required to be connected to the city wastewater system, the date after which legal proceedings may be initiated for violation of section 6.471, and the city office where information and required permits may be obtained. A copy of the notice shall be sent by first class mail to the occupant of the property if other than those receiving the required notice.
(6) No person shall sever a sewer connection or disconnect without first obtaining permission from the responsible city official.
(7) The conditions prohibited by this section are nuisances and subject to abatement as provided in this code.