(1) Where explicitly stated that the Design Review process can be used to approve an alternative to applicable standards, an applicant may apply for approval of a proposed development through the Design Review process beginning with EC 9.8110, Design Review – Purpose.
(2) The planning director shall approve, conditionally approve, or deny a Design Review application based on compliance with the following criteria:
(a) Consistency with the design objectives at EC 9.3130(2).
(b) Alternatives proposed pursuant to EC 9.3160(5), EC 9.3180(3), EC 9.3181(3), and EC 9.3182(3) shall demonstrate that the alternative proposal will allow the project to achieve an equivalent or higher quality design than would result from strict adherence to the standards through:
1. A building orientation, massing, articulation, and façade that contributes positively to the surrounding urban environment; and
2. An overall site and building design that creates a safe and attractive pedestrian environment. Design elements for this purpose may include special architectural design features, high quality materials, outdoor seating, pedestrian-scaled lighting, prominent entries facing the street, multiple openings or windows, and a significant use of clear, untinted glass.
(c) Alternatives proposed pursuant to EC 9.3185(4) shall demonstrate that the alternative proposal will allow the project to achieve an equivalent or higher quality design than would result from strict adherence to the standards through:
1. An overall site design that includes public green space, interpretive sites, public art, vistas, and/or historic structures that teach about the history of Eugene’s Downtown Riverfront; and
2. An overall site design that includes habitat enhancement areas that promote educational opportunities and demonstrate ecological enhancement in urban environments.
(d) New buildings and structures shall not obstruct view corridors identified on Figure 9.3155(3) or reduce the minimum dimensions specified in EC 9.3155(15).