(1) No sign permit shall be issued for any sign unless specifically identified as an allowed sign use under the terms of the applicable sign standards or otherwise allowed a permit under EC 9.6620 Nonconforming Signs or EC 9.6610 Exemptions to Sign Standards.
(2) Except as otherwise specified, signs located on property zoned S Special Zone shall be subject to the provisions of:
(a) EC 9.6650 Residential Sign Standards, if the use thereon is primarily characterized as residential,
(b) EC 9.6680 Employment and Industrial Sign Standards, if employment or industrial, or
(c) EC 9.6660 General Commercial Sign Standards.
(3) Property within an area subject to a change in zoning shall be governed by the provisions of the sign standards applicable to the new zone upon the effective date of the order amending the zoning map or part of said map. Completed applications for sign permits made before the effective date of the zone change will be considered under the provisions of the sign standards applicable to the zone existing at the time the application was submitted. All legally established signs which are not in compliance with the provisions of the sign standards applicable to the new zone applied shall be considered legal nonconforming signs.
(4) Except as otherwise specified, signs located on property subject to a new zoning classification created after August 1, 2001 shall be included in and subject to the provisions of EC 9.6650 Residential Sign Standards.
(5) For the purpose of these sign standards, tax lots or development sites with no street frontage shall be considered to have one street frontage.