The general commercial sign standards are hereby created and applied to all land as set forth below. Sign limitations reflect the commercial nature of the area and the amount of vehicular traffic.
(1) Corresponding Zones. Except as otherwise provided in the shopping center and highway commercial sign standards, the provisions of this section apply to all property located within the following zones: C-1 or C-2.
(2) Permitted Sign Types. Signs allowed under these standards shall be limited to the following types:
(a) Awning signs;
(b) Electronic message centers;
(c) Freestanding signs;
(d) Marquee signs;
(f) Roof signs;
(g) Under-marquee signs; and
(h) Wall signs.
(3) Maximum Number of Signs. The number of signs general commercial sign standards allow shall be based on the number of street frontages and shall be limited to no more than the following amounts for each street frontage:
(a) If the development site is occupied by only 1 business occupant:
1. One under-marquee sign, and
2. One awning, marquee, or freestanding sign.
3. The business occupant may substitute 2 wall signs on separate walls, or 2 single-faced roof signs, or 1 wall and 1 single-faced roof sign for the free-standing sign permitted in paragraph (a)2. of this subsection.
(b) If the development site is occupied by more than 1 business occupant:
1. One under-marquee sign per business;
2. One awning, marquee or wall sign per business; and,
3. One freestanding sign, or 2 single-faced roof signs, or 2 additional wall signs, or 1 additional wall sign and 1 single-faced roof sign per development site, provided that such additional wall signs are placed on separate walls.
(4) Maximum Sign Area. In addition to all other standards, the general commercial sign standards shall apply the following size limitations:
(a) Freestanding signs and roof signs shall not exceed 40 square feet in area for 1 face and 80 square feet in area for 2 or more faces for each business occupant on a development site. The maximum sign area when 2 business occupants are on the development site shall not exceed 80 square feet for 1 face or 160 square feet for 2 or more faces. The maximum sign area when 3 or more business occupants are on the development site shall not exceed 100 square feet for 1 face and 200 square feet for 2 or more faces.
(b) Wall, awning, marquee and under-marquee signs:
1. The sum of the area of all wall signs, marquee signs and awning signs on any wall where the general commercial sign standards apply shall be limited to 1.5 square feet times the length of the perimeter wall upon which the signs are located.
2. No sign shall exceed 100 square feet per face or 200 square feet for 2 or more faces.
(5) Maximum Height. All freestanding signs and roof signs shall be no more than 20 feet in height.