The shopping center sign standards are hereby created and applied to all land as set forth below. Sign limitations in these standards accommodate the special commercial character of these areas and the residential areas which are close to most shopping centers.
(1) Corresponding Zones. The provisions of this section apply to all property not regulated by the highway commercial sign standards on which a shopping center is located and which is within the following zones: C-1 or C-2.
(2) Permitted Sign Types. Signs allowed under the shopping center sign standards shall be limited to the following types:
(a) Awning signs;
(b) Digital signs;
(c) Electronic message centers;
(d) Freestanding signs;
(e) Marquee signs;
(g) Roof signs;
(h) Under-marquee signs; and
(i) Wall signs.
(3) Maximum Number of Signs. Except as provided in subparagraph (b) of this subsection, the number of signs shopping center sign standards allow shall be based on the number of street frontages and shall be limited to no more than the following amounts for each street frontage:
(a) There shall be no limitation on the number of free-standing or roof signs, except that no freestanding or roof sign shall be placed within 200 feet of another freestanding or roof sign on that development site.
(b) Two wall, marquee or awning signs per business occupant, however, no business occupant shall have more than 3 wall or awning signs regardless of the number of street frontages. If a second or third sign is located on the same wall, it may be no larger than 40 square feet.
(c) One under-marquee sign per business occupant.
(4) Maximum Sign Area. In addition to all other standards, shopping center sign standards shall apply the following size limitations:
(a) Awning, marquee and wall signs: the sum of the area of all such signs on any wall where the shopping center sign standards apply shall be limited to 1.5 square feet times the length of the perimeter wall upon which the signs are located.
(b) No freestanding or roof sign shall exceed 100 square feet of surface area for any 1 face and 200 square feet for 2 or more faces.
(c) Each wall, awning, marquee and under-marquee sign shall be less than 200 square feet for 1 face or less than 400 square feet for 2 or more faces.
(5) Maximum Height. Freestanding and roof signs where the shopping center sign standards apply shall not be more than 20 feet in height.