The employment and industrial sign standards are hereby created and applied to all property zoned for employment and industrial use as set forth below. Signs are regulated to accommodate the minimal street frontage of most parcels and the general proximity to highways and arterial streets.
(1) Corresponding Zones. The provisions of this section apply to all property not regulated by the highway commercial sign standards and located within the following zones: all employment and industrial zones.
(2) Permitted Sign Types. Signs allowed under the industrial sign standards shall be limited to the following types:
(a) Awning signs;
(c) Digital billboards;
(d) Digital signs;
(e) Electronic message centers;
(f) Freestanding signs;
(g) Marquee signs;
(h) Projecting signs;
(j) Roof signs;
(k) Under-marquee signs; and
(l) Wall signs.
(3) Maximum Number of Signs. The employment and industrial sign standards shall have no limit on the number of signs permitted except that no freestanding or roof sign may be constructed within 200 feet of any other freestanding or roof sign on the development site, regardless of the number of street frontages.
(4) Maximum Sign Area. The employment and industrial sign standards shall apply the following size limitations:
(a) Freestanding and roof signs shall not exceed 100 square feet in area for 1 face and 200 square feet for 2 or more faces.
(b) Notwithstanding any other provision, the sum of the area of all billboards, awning signs, marquee signs, projecting signs, and wall signs located on a single development site where the employment and industrial sign standards apply shall be limited to 0.5 square feet times the length of the perimeter wall upon which the signs are located. If not located on a wall, the area of any billboard located on the development site shall be included in the total sign area attributed to that site.
(c) Awning, marquee, projecting or wall signs shall be less than 200 square feet for any 1 face, and less than 400 square feet for 2 or more faces.
(d) Notwithstanding the number of street frontages, no business occupant shall use more than 1000 square feet of sign surface area, including billboards, at any single development site.
(5) Maximum Height. All billboards, freestanding signs and roof signs shall be no more than 30 feet in height except freestanding signs.
(6) Billboards. Billboards regulated by the employment and industrial sign standards shall be subject to the following:
(a) Billboards shall be permitted only along property which abuts the following named streets:
1. Garfield Street north of 5th Avenue to the intersection of Roosevelt Boulevard.
2. Seneca Street north of 11th Avenue to the intersection of Roosevelt Boulevard.
3. Bertelsen Road north of 11th Avenue to the intersection of Roosevelt Boulevard.
4. Obie Street north of 11th Avenue to the end of the street, but no further north than the intersection of Stewart Road.
5. West 11th Avenue from 200 feet east of the centerline of Chambers Street to Terry Street.
(b) No billboard shall exceed 250 square feet in area.
(c) Notwithstanding the required connection between perimeter wall size and billboard size established in (4)(b) of this section, a billboard not to exceed 200 square feet may be located on an otherwise vacant lot abutting any street designated in this section.
(7) Digital Billboards. In addition to the standards in EC 9.6680(6), digital billboards shall be subject to the following standards. Where standards conflict, the standards for digital billboards in this subsection (7) shall control:
(a) Minimum spacing between digital billboards facing the same direction shall be 1,200 feet. For purposes of this subsection, “facing the same direction” means oriented within 60 degrees of the sign face of another digital billboard. The distance between digital billboards shall be measured along the centerline of the street designated to be a location for digital billboards.
(b) The change from one message to another message shall be no more frequent than once every 8 seconds.
(c) The change from one message to another message shall be instantaneous.
(d) Animation is not allowed.
(e) The digital billboard shall operate at an internal illumination intensity level of not more than 0.3 foot-candles over ambient light levels as measured from a distance of 150 feet perpendicular to the sign face.
(f) The digital billboard shall be equipped with a light sensor that automatically adjusts the intensity of the billboard according to the amount of ambient light.
(g) The digital billboard shall be designed to either freeze the display in one static position, display a full black screen or turn off in the event of a malfunction.
(h) Cutouts are not allowed.
(i) Notwithstanding EC 9.1230, legal nonconforming billboards may be removed and replaced by digital billboards if the location, area and height of the sign do not change and if the building permit is issued within 365 days of the 1st day of demolition. However, no digital billboard shall be larger than 300 square feet and all other standards in this section must be met.
(j) Digital billboards are only allowed at the location described in EC 9.6680(6)(a)(5).