The employment and industrial sign standards are hereby created and applied to all property zoned for employment and industrial use as set forth below. Signs are regulated to accommodate the minimal street frontage of most parcels and the general proximity to highways and arterial streets.
(1) Corresponding Zones. The provisions of this section apply to all property not regulated by the highway commercial sign standards and located within the following zones: all employment and industrial zones.
(2) Permitted Sign Types. Signs allowed under the industrial sign standards shall be limited to the following types:
(a) Awning signs;
(c) Electronic message centers;
(d) Freestanding signs;
(e) Marquee signs;
(f) Projecting signs;
(h) Roof signs;
(i) Under-marquee signs; and
(j) Wall signs.
(3) Maximum Number of Signs. The employment and industrial sign standards shall have no limit on the number of signs permitted except that no freestanding or roof sign may be constructed within 200 feet of any other freestanding or roof sign on the development site, regardless of the number of street frontages.
(4) Maximum Sign Area. The employment and industrial sign standards shall apply the following size limitations:
(a) Freestanding and roof signs shall not exceed 100 square feet in area for 1 face and 200 square feet for 2 or more faces.
(b) Notwithstanding any other provision, the sum of the area of all billboards, awning signs, marquee signs, projecting signs, and wall signs located on a single development site where the employment and industrial sign standards apply shall be limited to 0.5 square feet times the length of the perimeter wall upon which the signs are located. If not located on a wall, the area of any billboard located on the development site shall be included in the total sign area attributed to that site.
(c) Awning, marquee, projecting or wall signs shall be less than 200 square feet for any 1 face, and less than 400 square feet for 2 or more faces.
(d) Notwithstanding the number of street frontages, no business occupant shall use more than 1000 square feet of sign surface area, including billboards, at any single development site.
(5) Maximum Height. All billboards, freestanding signs and roof signs shall be no more than 30 feet in height except freestanding signs up to 5 feet in height are allowed in the E-1 zone at a minimum of 5 feet from the front property line.
(6) Billboards. Billboards regulated by the employment and industrial sign standards shall be subject to the following:
(a) Billboards shall be permitted only along property which abuts the following named streets:
1. Garfield Street north of 5th Avenue to the intersection of Roosevelt Boulevard.
2. Seneca Street north of 11th Avenue to the intersection of Roosevelt Boulevard.
3. Bertelsen Road north of 11th Avenue to the intersection of Roosevelt Boulevard.
4. Obie Street north of 11th Avenue to the end of the street, but no further north than the intersection of Stewart Road.
5. West 11th Avenue from 200 feet east of the centerline of Chambers Street to Terry Street.
(b) No billboard shall exceed 250 square feet in area.
(c) Notwithstanding the required connection between perimeter wall size and billboard size established in (4)(b) of this section, a billboard not to exceed 200 square feet may be located on an otherwise vacant lot abutting any street designated in this section.