It is the purpose of sections 9.6705 to 9.6709 to promote the public health, safety and general welfare, and to minimize public and private losses due to flood conditions in specific areas by adopting provisions designed to:
(1) Protect human life and health.
(2) Minimize expenditure of public money and costly flood control projects.
(3) Minimize the need for rescue and relief efforts associated with flooding and generally undertaken at the expense of the general public.
(4) Minimize prolonged business interruptions.
(5) Minimize damage to public facilities and utilities such as water and gas mains, electric, telephone and sewer lines, streets, and bridges located in areas of special flood hazard.
(6) Help maintain a stable tax base by providing for the sound use and development of areas of special flood hazard so as to minimize future flood blight areas.
(7) Ensure that potential buyers are notified that property is in an area of special flood hazard.
(8) Ensure that those who occupy the areas of special flood hazard assume responsibility for their actions.